Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hannah Jase Harriger

Since this is "Mother's Day Week", I decided to write letters to my girls!  I think I might just write one for my mom & Tim's mom, too.


Hannah Jase Harriger
My dearest Hannah,
Where in the world do I start with you.  You are an AMAZING gift from God.  God knows what we need before we need it and He knew I needed you.  I'm sure by now you have heard the story a million times about how you came to join our family.  If not, ask me now! I do love telling it.

From the SECOND you were born, I was madly and deeply in love with you.  Almost immediately you were taken away from me because you weren't breathing very well on your own.  You need just a little help.  It was in those moments I realized how lucky we were to have you.  To have the possibility exist that you would be sick - or taken away - broke my heart.  The nurses kept saying you were doing better and that was the one thing I held on to.  Daddy was allowed to bring a visitor to see you in your bubble, but I was the only one not allowed to see you.  I cried.


You fit right into our family.  From the beginning, your big sister LOVED you to pieces.  She wanted to sit next to me & hold your feet when I fed you.  She wanted to sit right next to you in the swing (well, she wanted to push you in the swing...).  She was (and is) the best big sister I could have hoped for for you.



You had a rough few months.  You cried.  All.  The.  Time.  Not just cry, but "Oh My Goodness, someone do SOMETHING because the world is ending" kind of crying (just ask Grandma Harder... she'll tell you).  However, everytime I held you, or fed you... you were quiet.  You loved me. You were MY girl.

You were such a darling baby. You were also fiercely independent from day one.  You WILL do what YOU want to do ... WHEN you want to do it.  If Mommy asked you to jump, you'd lay down.  If I asked you to pick up a book, you'd bring over 3 beanie babies.  Grandma said your ears must be broken, but we both know... You were just marching to your own little band.



You are SUCH a silly girl.  You always are goofing around, making funny faces, telling funny jokes.  When you were about 3 years old, you came to me & said... "Why did the Banana go to the doctor?" ... "Because He wasn't Peeling Very Well!!!" You make me laugh.  You make me smile.


You are also a very dramatic girl.  You will run to me and say "awwwwwwww mommy! I LOVE you!" and give me a bear-hug.  If you see something you like or get something you want... You stare at it & then fall over.  then you say "HOW DID YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU!"


On the flip-side: If you are corrected or disciplined - you completely melt down into a little puddle of Hannah.  You have always cried until your lips turned blue.  You cry... 'BUT MOMMY!!! I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!' if I put you in time out or tell you now.  I LOVE it.  Everytime you do it, I want to scoop you up & give you loves and hugs and kisses.  HOWEVER, mommy must stay strong.

As you grow up and turn into a little lady, I wish the very best for you.  You are so tender, so sweet.  I can see you helping others - either as a nurse, a teacher or a circus clown!

Hannah, you are such a bright light in my life.  I love you forever.


No comments: