Friday, July 23, 2010

The Great "Barbie" Challenge ...or... To Make a Short Story Long...

My girls recently asked me, "When do we get to play with Barbies?".

Let me explain something.  When I turned 15, I decided it was socially unacceptable for me to continue playing Barbie.  I was forced to box them up & stick them in the basement.  Under the guise of "getting rid of a few things" I would go to mom's house, pull the box down & "sort through" - ALWAYS ending up brushing out all the Barbies' hair, switching their clothes around, making sure they were rotated so not one Barbie got too much time with one of the Kens...

Coinciding with "Barbie" fever has been "Disney Princess Fever".  Not long after that question, I was at the thrift store and I found all the Disney Princess "barbies" - Belle, Ariel, Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella and even the newest Princess, Tiana.  For $2 each.  (The package of those same dolls @ Target = $60.)  Then the girls got on this crusade: "Mommy.  The Princesses miss their friends Jasmine, Mulan and Pocahontas."  Thanks to Once Upon a Child & Ebay The Princesses are all reunited.  We even found Giselle from "Enchanted".
I decided that the standard Princess dresses are a bit non-practical for daily wear (reserved only for Grande Balls and Prince-getting Parties).  Plus, Belle & Jasmine arrived naked. I started shopping for Barbie clothes.  Those suckers are EXPENSIVE and not so nice.  Barbie has become quite the Hoochie since I was a girl.

(this is the part where you can start to get nervous for me):
One night, I was at JoAnn Fabrics & saw "ALL PATTERNS $1". 
So I found the pattern pack for Barbie clothes.
I spent $15 on remants and quarter-yard cuts of fancy Prom-dress fabrics.
I embarked to clothe the Princesses myself.
Here is how my first dress-making adventure went:

1. Didn't read pattern where it said "Cut Two pieces".
2. Sewed one piece to the bodice before realizing, I needed 2...  & of course I used 120 stitches per inch and didn't have a seam ripper.
3. Figured that out, cut the 2nd piece, re-sewed to bodice.
4. As I'm sewing the skirt pieces, the fabric rests itself on the mini-iron my mom lent me for this project.
The bottom of the fancy prom-dress fabric melted into pretty little scallop-shapes.
5. While trying to iron a seam, the side of the iron rests on a piece of the bodice & melts a small hole up there.
6. As I try to readjust the position of the iron to be far away from my fabric, I drop it on the bag of bread that Hannah brought me... melting the bag & coating the iron with plastic.  Which smells delicious.
7. I turn off the iron, but before it cooled down I set my middle finger down & burn myself.
8. I think some bad thoughts about my situation, but persevere.
9. I get to the hem!  I'm almost there!!!

10. Then the bobbin strikes. 
For those who don't know sewing machines: The bobbin (on my machine) is hidden within the machine and you don't see it.  It provides half of your stitch & without it, you get nothing but little holes in your fabric where the needle went in & out... You forget about the bobbin. At some point, it runs out of thread.  The curse: as you are sewing/quilting... it runs out of thread approximately 45 minutes before you realize it.


So, unaware of the bobbin bailing on me - I proudly pull the dress off the machine!!!! And 1/2 the hem is missing. Really?  So, there is a partly completed, kind of burned purple sparkly dress behind my couch right now.


Would you like to hear a cooking story next?

No comments: