Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Let's Take a vote:

If you think Hayley should go to Kindergarten, raise your hand!
If you think Hayley should stay a teeny tiny baby, raise your hand!

I didn't think I would, but as the day gets closer & I say "Hayley's going to Kindergarten"... I get a little weepy. I don't think it is sadness.  I am not sad.  I don't stay-home with her, so I'm not going to miss her any differently as I do now during the day. It isn't like a part of my day will be ripped away from me.
I think the tears are of pride, of joy & anticipation.  And a little nervous. I am nervous, because my elementary school experienced... well, it sucked. (forgive the language - it could have been worse).
I fear that my daughter will have the same experience and I hope that doesn't keep me from allowing her to enjoy it.  I also hope & pray that she will be a ray of sunshine and a blessing to the teacher - as she is to me (us).  I pray the kids fall in love with her.  She is such a sweet friend.  I also hope & pray SHE isn't the mean-girl.  We witnessed a bit of it this summer and it isn't fun to see.

Tim and I decided she will not be riding the bus this year.  (We'll see how long that lasts).  Why did we make this decision?  We have a combined 25 years of school-bus riding experience.  Only 3 of those years were "okay".  It isn't like anything ever happened to me on the bus, but I remember sitting right behind the driver, so people wouldn't be mean to me.  I feared the stoners in the back seat, I feared the "popular girls/boys" in the middle & I was okay with the geeks & nerds and the driver. (I am in denial, possibly, that I WAS one of the geeky nerds?).  I also have heard 2 or 3 horror stories from friends' kids experience.
I know I know... she'll be fine.  She will actually be mad at me if I don't let her ride the bus.  We'll see.

For now, we asked for her to be in PM kindergarten.  This means Tim will drive her to school & either I will pick her up, or she could take the bus home.  (I have a sinking feeling that come the first snow fall, I will opt for the bus-ride).

But mainly - I am SO overwhelmed with pride.  I love my Hayley Anne.  She is so brilliant and beautiful.

(I love Hannah, too.  But this isn't about her today.)

No comments: