Friday, September 10, 2010

All About ME!

I never wanted to be the person that could only EVER talk about her children.
So this post is all about me. Little Sara Lou Harriger.

Last night, I did something for myself! I "joined" the Gospel Choir at my church.  I'm so proud of me on many levels.  I love singing. I love being in a choir.  I've been avoiding it because "I don't know anyone". I was nervous & shy.

You might think, "Oh, Sara - That's silly. You're so outgoing and SO not shy... I just can't believe you would have a problem like this."

I do!  I suffer from extreme lack of self confidence.  If I know you - of course I'm comfortable.  If I know the environment or "situation" (like being at Camp Lebanon, or going to the church I grew up in) I am totally comfortable because it is a part of ME.  I belong there - even if I don't know anyone. 
But if I walk into a room of strangers - especially if THEY all know each-other, I feel light headed & want to puke... I get a case of the "What-ifs"...
What if no one talks to me? What if they are mean? What if they don't have a joking-spirit or a sense of humor?! (You know musicians can be quite serious...). What if they don't WANT new choir members? (well, they shouldn't advertise for them, I guess!).  What if the lady next to me doesn't like my shirt?

What if What if What if!!!

However, the MOMENT I walked into the worship center for choir practice, all my What ifs were so quickly blown away that I found myself spinning in circles trying to shake everyone's hand & still find my way to the Alto section! Then the best thing happened... one lady said "Sit there - next to me!" 

It was funny - I felt VERY welcomed.  VERY wanted.  And yet - so nervous I picked all the nail polish off my fingers.  I sat next to one of the "Main" singing ladies - she's always in the choir, on stage singing Praise & Worship, etc.
I had SO much fun. At the end of practice, the "main lady" (her name is Karen) even said, "Oh, I KNEW I'd like you the minute I met you."

Not only do I get to sing again, but maybe my self confidence was boosted up a notch last night.

1 comment:

Carrie and Mike said...

Oh Sara Lou...I am SO proud of you! TWIN! We are built so much alike its scary...right down to being ALTOS! TWIN ALTOS! Oh...yeah and the self confidence and what if thing...thats me too...twin!